VB Air Suspension is a type of suspension system that uses air springs to support the weight of a vehicle. It is becoming increasingly popular among car enthusiasts and professional drivers due to its many benefits. In this post, we'll explore VB Air Suspension, how it works, and why it might be the right choice for your vehicle.
Air suspension can either replace your factory-fitted suspension system, or elements can be added to enhance the system you have. Whether you're looking to improve your current suspension system or replace it entirely, VB Air Suspension has got you covered. Their suspension systems are designed to be easily installed on your vehicle's existing chassis mounting points, with no need for welding, cutting, or drilling.
This means that your vehicle warranty remains intact, and the visual appearance of your vehicle won't be affected. Plus, all VB Air Suspension kits come with the necessary certifications and credentials, including those from VOSA and VCA so that you can be confident in the quality and safety of your new suspension system.
What is Air Suspension?
Air suspension is a vehicle suspension system that uses airbags to support the vehicle's weight. Instead of traditional coil or leaf springs, which compress and rebound as the vehicle moves over bumps and uneven terrain, air springs use compressed air to absorb and dissipate shocks. This results in a smoother, more comfortable ride for the driver and passengers.
Air suspension is a popular aftermarket upgrade for campervans, as it can provide several benefits. Air suspension can improve the handling and stability of the vehicle on rough or uneven roads, which is essential when driving off-road or on unpaved surfaces. It can also help to level the vehicle when parked, which is especially useful when camping on uneven ground.
Air suspension can increase the load-carrying capacity of your vehicle. This is important for campervans, who often carry heavy equipment and supplies. Campervans can carry more weight using air springs without compromising their ride quality or handling.
Why upgrade your suspension at all?
Your original suspension might not have been designed to handle the extra weight of the campervan or motorhome conversion. This might result in an uneven ride and feeling every bump and pothole in the road. Steel suspension systems can't be easily adjusted to accommodate heavier payloads.
Adjusting the ride height when going over different terrain is a fantastic benefit. Useful for campsites and when loading the van onto ferries. Self-levelling is also great when wild camping or sleeping on uneven sites.
VB Air Suspension has a range of solutions to help. Whether you need additional support for your current suspension system or a complete replacement. With their systems, you can expect a smoother and more comfortable ride and better handling, especially when your vehicle is close to its maximum weight capacity.
- Improve comfort
- Better handling
- Accommodate added weight
- Handle different terrains
- Adjustable when at campsites
- Self-levelling option
- Extend the life of your tyres
- Reduce maintenance costs
- Increase the resale value
What ride heights are available with VB AirSuspension
VB Air Suspension offers a range of different ride height options, including:
- AutoLevel – a digital levelling function that sets your vehicle level (within spring travel limits) at speeds below 30 km/h.
- Sport – lowers the vehicle by approximately 30 mm for better handling and a firmer chassis adjustment at all speeds.
- Off Road – increases the ride height by approximately 30 mm for greater ground clearance on rough terrain at speeds below 30 km/h.
- Car Park – lowers the vehicle to its maximum level for easier ingress and egress and can be used to lower the vehicle's height to fit under a low roof or gate at speeds below 30 km/h.
- Memory function – allows you to store a specific ride height setting to activate later at speeds below 0 km/h.
- Manual control – lets you manually adjust the ride height for loading and unloading at speeds below 0 km/h.
- Ferry – raises the rear of the vehicle to its maximum level, making it easier to drive onto a ferry at speeds below 30 km/h.
- Water discharge – tilts the vehicle to the side with the water discharge to empty the wastewater and toilet tanks fully at speeds below 0 km/h.
- Load space – automatically raises the front axle and lowers the rear to the maximum level for easier loading and unloading at the rear, at speeds below 0 km/h.
The Off-Road, Car Park, and Ferry functions allow for temporary ride height adjustments at speeds of up to 30 km/h, while the other functions require the vehicle to be at a complete stop before operation. With VB Air Suspension, you can choose the ride height that best suits your needs, improving your driving experience and vehicle performance.
Switching between the different ride heights means you can change between the Slammed and Swamper look, depending on your mood... which is pretty cool.
VB Air Suspension vs other suspension options
VB Air Suspension is a unique type of air suspension system that offers several advantages over other suspension systems, including different types of air suspension.
One key difference between VB Air Suspension and other air suspension systems is the level of customisation and adaptability that VB Air Suspension offers. VB Air Suspension systems can be tailored to meet the specific needs and requirements of many vehicles, from small campervans to heavy-duty trucks.
This means drivers can customise their suspension system to achieve optimal ride quality, handling, and performance for their specific vehicle and driving conditions.
Another advantage of VB Air Suspension is its advanced control system. VB Air Suspension uses sophisticated electronic controls to monitor and adjust the air pressure in the air springs, ensuring optimal performance and safety.
The control system can be programmed to adjust the suspension settings based on factors such as vehicle speed, road conditions, and load weight. This allows for a smoother, more comfortable ride and better handling, regardless of the driving conditions.
In addition, VB Air Suspension is known for its durability and reliability. The system is built to withstand the demands of heavy use, making it a popular choice for commercial vehicles and other high-use applications. The components of VB Air Suspension are also designed to be easily replaceable, making maintenance and repairs more straightforward and cost-effective.
How Does VB Air Suspension Work?
VB Air Suspension uses air springs to support the vehicle's weight. Instead of traditional coil or leaf springs, which can give you a bumpy ride, air springs compress and expand to absorb the shocks and vibrations of the road, resulting in a much smoother ride.
One cool thing about air springs is that they can be adjusted to different loads and driving conditions. This means that you can adjust the stiffness of the suspension to suit your needs and make sure that you have the best ride possible.
The air compressor and control system are important parts of the VB Air Suspension system. The air compressor pumps air into the air springs while the control system regulates the air pressure.
This is important because you need to adjust the air pressure based on different factors, like the vehicle's weight and the driving conditions. The control system can do this automatically, or you can adjust it to get the ride quality and handling you want.
Benefits of VB Air Suspension
This advanced suspension system offers a ton of benefits that can make your campervan trips smoother, safer, and more enjoyable. From improved ride quality to customisable suspension settings, here are some of the top benefits of VB Air Suspension for campervans.
- Improved Ride Quality: VB Air Suspension offers a much smoother ride than traditional suspension systems. This is especially important for campervans, where you want to be as comfortable as possible on long trips.
- Better Handling: The advanced VB Air Suspension control system allows for more precise handling, even when driving on uneven terrain or in adverse weather conditions. This can help you feel more in control of your campervan and make driving safer and more enjoyable.
- Customisable Suspension Settings: With VB Air Suspension, you can adjust the stiffness of the suspension to match your specific needs and preferences. This means you can customise the suspension settings for different driving conditions or loads, giving you optimal performance at all times.
- Improved Stability: The air springs in VB Air Suspension provide a more stable base for your campervan, which can help prevent sway or instability when driving. This is especially important when driving in windy conditions or on uneven terrain.
- Increased Durability: VB Air Suspension is known for its durability and reliability, which is especially important for campervans that may be subjected to heavy use. The system is built to withstand the demands of constant travel and can provide years of trouble-free service.
- Easy Maintenance: The components of VB Air Suspension are designed to be easily replaceable, making maintenance and repairs simpler and more cost-effective. This can save you time and money in the long run and help keep your campervan running smoothly for years.
VB Air Suspension offers a wide range of benefits for campervans, including improved ride quality, better handling, customisable suspension settings, increased stability, increased durability, and easy maintenance. These benefits can help make your campervan trips more comfortable, safer, and more enjoyable, no matter where you're headed.
Cost of installing VB Air Suspension
You may wonder about the cost if you're considering upgrading your campervan's suspension system with VB Air Suspension.
While prices can vary depending on the specifics of your vehicle and the installation process, on average, VB Air Suspension costs around £6,600. The price quoted is for a Volkswagen Transporter T6 or VW T6.1.
While this may seem like a significant investment, the benefits of VB Air Suspension, such as improved ride quality and increased durability, can make it well worth the price tag. Plus, considering the long-term cost savings from reduced maintenance and repairs, VB Air Suspension can be a wise investment for any serious campervan owner.
Wildworx: Installers of VB Air Suspension
VB Air Suspension is the way to go if you want a smoother, more customisable ride in your campervan. Plus, it's durable, easy to maintain, and offers better handling and stability on the road.
You can get VB Air Suspension installed at Wildworx. As an approved fitter for VB Air Suspension, you can trust us to install and maintain your system right here at our HQ in Alcester, Warwickshire. So what are you waiting for? Upgrade your campervan's suspension system with VB Air Suspension and start enjoying a better ride today. Get in touch with our team for more information.
Call our team on: 01789 700 029